Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Italian Herb Polenta Cakes





Yes, I'm finally going to give an easy, not-from-scratch meal. Even I don't feel like spending an hour or more in the kitchen all the time.

When grocery shopping, I usually pick up a few products to get me through those busy (or more often than not, lazy) days, and to prevent me from going all in and giving in to the black hole habit of take-out. 




So here are some not-so-cheating products I picked up: pesto paste (unintentionally vegan- love when that happens), and a tube of pre-seasoned polenta. I was able to find both at the "regular" grocery store, though I've also seen packaged polenta at other stores, including Sprouts. Both items are just a few bucks each, and will save you tons of time and dirty dishes by just having them on hand. 

Since my polenta is styled with Italian herb, I chose grape tomatoes, parsley, and green onions to accompany it. 




Annnnnnd pine nuts. I just love pine nuts. They are creamy, earthy, and go perfect with Italian herbs. Plus, since I don't have to make my own pesto for this, I have some extra to actually eat. This is going to be a good day. 




First start by slicing the polenta into 1/2 inch thick cakes. 




Heat up 1-2 tbsp of olive oil, and fry up the cakes for about 3-5 minutes on each side. They should have hints of golden brown, but remain spongy. Note: don't saute garlic in the oil prior to frying them like I did. Charred garlic = not tasty.




While the cakes are cooking, chop up the veggies. I like to slice my green onions diagonally and chop my grape tomatoes in fours to keep them thick and juicy. 




Once the polenta cakes are cooked, spread some yummy pesto on top. As much or as little as you like, but a tsp per cake should be sufficient. 




Then, start stacking the veggies!




There really is a science to throwing piles of vegetables on a plate. I should get paid for this. 




Finish off by squeezing some fresh lemon juice on top, and tada! Ten minutes, a few bucks, one pan and no stress. 




Italian Herb Polenta Cakes
Prep time: 3-5 minutes Cook time: 6-10 minutes
Total: 10-15 minutes
Makes about 12 cakes/4 servings

Ingredients:
1 package pre-seasoned polenta
1+ cup chopped grape tomatoes
4+ sliced green onions
1/4 cup minced parsley
1/2 cup pine nuts
olive oil (for frying)
fresh lemon juice (for garnish)

Remove polenta from tube. Slice into 1/2 thick cakes. Heat olive oil in large frying pan and cook cakes for 3-5 minutes on each side until slightly golden brown.

Cut up veggies.

Once cooked, squeeze a dollop of pesto on each cake. Stack veggies on cakes, finishing with pine nuts and parsley  Squeeze fresh lemon on top to garnish.  



No comments:

Post a Comment